In VMware Aria Operations for Applications (formerly known as Tanzu Observability by Wavefront), Super Admin users and users with the Accounts permission can perform a variety of tasks, such as:
- Manage the authorization and access to the Operations for Applications environment.
- Select the authentication model in the Operations for Applications environment, for example, by setting up SSO using an identity provider (IdP).
- Monitor and troubleshoot the Operations for Applications environment and usage.
- Purchase initial and additional Operations for Applications capacity by using the self-service workflows in the UI.
As a user with the Accounts permission, you can:
- Invite users, assign roles to users or add the users to groups to grant permissions.
- Create roles that are set of permissions and assign the role to one or more users.
- Create groups and give all members of the group a set of permissions by assigning a role.
- Manage user accounts and service accounts.
- Protect individual dashboards or alerts and grant access only to selected groups or accounts.
- Protect metrics or groups of metrics using metrics security policy rules.
You can select your preferred authentication method for your environment by setting up single sign-on using an identity provider (IdP), so that users can log in by using SSO instead of a user name and password. Our authentication integrations use SAML and fully support two-factor authentication (managed by individual identity providers). In single-tenant authentication environment, you can set up or update self-service SAML SSO. You can also set up multi-tenancy, which is configured jointly by you – at the customer site, and our Technical Support team.
Monitor and Troubleshoot
You can use the Operations for Applications Usage integration dashboards to monitor and troubleshoot your environment. By using the dashboards in this integration, you can:
- Get usage information for your service instance and Wavefront proxy.
- Drill down into the metrics namespaces to discover trends.
- Examine the points per second (PPS) usage based on predefined ingestion policies.
- See whether the ingested metrics are at 95% of the committed rate and optionally get alerts if that happens.
- In addition, you can create your own dashboards, charts, and alerts by using the internal metrics to investigate the problem.
You can also examine the overall usage and monitor how data is used by specific accounts, groups, sources, metric namespaces, or point tags, based on ingestion policies.
Purchase Operations for Applications Capacity
As a Super Admin user, you can upgrade your Operations for Applications instance from a trial version to a billable subscription. You can also add more PPS to your active subscription.